Each team consists of two players. Each player has two juggling balls that are considered as part of the player.
A ball that can easily be distinguished from the players’ juggling balls is selected as “jollyball”. A stage ball or a bean bag can be chosen as jollyball, a bean bag is the common choice.
The playing field is in total 9 m long and 6 m wide. The top of the net is at a height of 1.62 m.
There is no referee, so the players must come to an understanding and try to be honest and fair. Disputed points are usually played again.
Typically, the game is played best-of-three sets played to 15 points (two points ahead, limited to max. 17 points), while scoring is only possible if the team has the serve. This ruling can be changed at the EJC due to time constraints.
The throw into the other court …
- has to pass over the net. It may also touch the net – except during a serve.
- must not start in the opposing court, i.e. the throwing hand has to be above the own court or above neutral territory outside the court.
- has to start with an ascending flight path.
- may be kicked with a leg or a foot.
It is always an error if …
- the jollyball touches the own court.
- the jollyball touches the ground, the wall or the ceiling outside the playing field after it has been last touched by the own team; the line is part of the court.
- a player or her/his juggling ball touches the net, the opposing court or an opponent in the opposing court.
- the jollyball is passed within the team more than two times.
As long as one has not passed on the jollyball, it is an error if …
- a ball is caught with the same hand that has just thrown it (two-in-one-hand, fountain).
- one hand is holding two balls.
- a ball is bounced with the hand.
- a juggling ball touches the floor before the jollyball has been passed on.
- the player is walking, except for a stabilizing step.
- the jollyball has not been passed on after 10 throws counting jollyball and juggling balls.
- The serve changes, if the team that had the serve makes an error.
- Players will swap places if their team just obtained the serve.
- The serving team announces the current score.
- Players serve from behind the right half of their end line.
- It is an error if a player stops or drops during the serve or the serve touches the net.
- The serve has to pass over the net without touching it.
It is not an error if the jollyball touches the net except at the serve.
Any part of the body can be used to pass the jollyball within the own team, but it must never be bounced with the hand.